Spacious Ideas for Compact Dining Rooms
Have you moved into a new apartment but your dining area is more of a nook than a room? Are you worried about how your furniture is going to fit into this small space? We’re here to help with simple solutions to maximise space and make your compact dining room still work for your everyday life, as well as when you’re entertaining family and friends.
When you’ve got a small dining room, the choice and placement of every item matters. Your furniture needs to be multi-purpose without sacrificing style and functionality. Keeping inner-city living and apartment dwelling in mind, Icon By Design has curated a collection of Scandi-style and Mid Century modern pieces that slot right into a snug room. And when it comes to your dining room, we have a range of dining tables that fit the small space bill to perfection.
Magnus Dining Collection
The Magnus dining table comes in a variety of functional sizes to suit your home. With its soft rounded corners and elegant tapered legs and light, minimalist design, the Magnus dining table gives the illusion of space. In fact, the Magnus extension dining table is a firm favourite for small spaces – when closed, it is a compact 160cm and can easily sit 6 people, but when extended, it is 200cm, which means you can fit 8 people. This makes it perfect for entertaining and compact for everyday life.
When choosing dining chairs, we have a number of options that would work well with the Magnus dining table since it’s such a universal style. But don’t forget to keep the size of your room and your dining table in mind. If you’re looking for our most compact dining chair, the Henrik with its slimline design is super-compact and super-comfy, perfect for a small space.
Another great option is the Magnus bench (140cm). It can be placed in the hallway or at the foot of your bed and can be pulled out when entertaining guests so you can have enough seating around your table. Versatile, eh?
Our recommended dining table sizes for small spaces are:
- Magnus square 90cm fits 4 chairs
- Magnus round 100cm fits 4 chairs
- Magnus rectangle 150cm fits 4 chairs
- Magnus rectangle 160cm fits 4-6 chairs
- Magnus oval 160cm fits 4 chairs
- Magnus extension 160cm-200cm fits 6 chairs closed and 8 chairs open
Otto Dining Collection
If you are after a table that makes a statement, look no further than the Otto. We’ve designed this dining table from the ground up. Its legs are positioned at the extreme ends means you can fit more chairs without its legs getting in the way. Its proportions look light, but it’s solid and strong, enough to withstand the bustle of everyday life. We’ve just released two new sizes of the Otto dining table, perfect for small spaces.
Our recommended Otto dining table sizes for small spaces are:
Tips and tricks to make the most out of your small dining room
- Choose furniture that has a small frame – you don’t want your dining room furniture to overpower the room. Smaller sized furniture tricks the eye into believing your room is larger than it actually is.
- An extendable dining table is a handy option as it gives you extra seating when needed like children’s playdates and family get-togethers.
- Benches are perfect items to pull out when you’re entertaining to fit more guests around your table.
- If possible, push your dining table against a wall, especially if your table is square or rectangular. When guests are over, you can easily bring it forward to accommodate them.
- Choose dining room furniture with a contemporary style – Scandinavian and Mid Century furniture are inherently sleek, streamlined and modern.